Sunday, September 21, 2008

In Memory of Collin Keck

December 1, 1985-September 18, 2008

This Thursday morning, the 18th of September, my friend Collin Keck was struck by a dump truck and killed while riding his bike to work. He was only 22. News of Collin's death came as a great shock to those of us who knew him. I knew Collin mostly through song. Collin joined BBT, the a cappella group that I sang in in college, the same year that I did. He had an incredible voice and brought amazing energy to the group. Although he was sometimes quiet and slightly more reserved than the rest of us were, Collin quickly became part of the BBT family and a friend to us all. He always greeted each of us as we filed into BBT practice with a big smile and a big hug. He even walked me home after practice so that I didn't have to walk alone in the dark. Although he left the group to spend a year studying abroad in Florece, Italy, Collin continued to keep in touch with us all through the internet and offered words of encouragement before big concerts and events. He was, and always will be, a part of the BBT family, and therefore, a part of my family.

I ask that his family, especially his parents and brother, be kept in your thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time in their lives.

Collin, thank you. Thank you for being you. Your smile, your voice, and your passion for life will never be forgotten. Above all, thank you for your friendship. I'm grateful for the time that we spent together and am a better person for knowing you. I love you and miss you. We all love you and miss you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How really nice of you to memoralize Collin here. I know he meant a lot to you & that you are hurting. So you, as well as his family are in my thoughts & prayers. I'm sorry for your loss. I will try to copy some of the video of his BBT performances & send them to his family & to you ASAP. Peace be with you. God bless. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh crud! I left the first i out of "memorialize". Oops.

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry to hear this very sad news. I only knew Collin for a few days, we had met in Costa Rica and spent a day together learning to surf. He was a very good person and I am saddened to hear of his passing.