Sunday, November 11, 2007

Vicodin and a Mouse

Dear Readers,

Sorry it's been so long since my last post. My only excuse is that I'm lame, but whatever. At any rate, life in the desert has been...complicated...that might be the best way to describe it. After my last post, things with my feet, knees, and back really started to go downhill. After listening to me complain, my wonderful local aunt, who happens to be a nurse, made me a doctor's appointment and delivered to me a small bottle of pills to hold me over. Two of those pills, which I found out later were vicodin, very Dr. House, allowed me to sleep through the night for the first time in a while and turned me into a completely different person, not in a bad way. For the first time in weeks I suppose, Keith could actually stand to be around me. My demeanor has been less-than-desirable lately, despite my best attempts to be less grumpy. Poor guy! Anyway, since I don't want to turn into House, I have to limit my narcotic intake, and continue to be grumpy until something else comes along. I'm trying some different (at least I thought they were different) anti-inflammatories, so maybe one will help. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

In order to hopefully alleviate some of my "joint discomfort" as the nurse called it (UGH!) I'm now working in the front of the vet clinic as a secretary 2 or 3 days a week. It's great the my bosses are willing to work with me, but it's not exactly the career move I was hoping for. My parent's $120,000 and that piece of paper that says that I have a degree are not being put to use quite the way that I thought they were going to be. I'm sort of doing some job searching, but I should probably get on it if I want to be able to go home for Christmas. Wishful thinking! I'm thinking about applying for a job or two more along the lines of psychology again. I loved my job working at the residential treatment center in Spokane, even though I have no psych training, and might head down that road for a bit. I miss those kids like crazy! I also thought about something along the lines of CDC work. Who knows though. I'm SO indecisive!

In other news, two very frightening things are happening in my life. First, the little brother passed his exam and received his learner's permit earlier in the week, which means that he can now legally sit behind the wheel of a hunk of metal weighing over 1,000 lbs! Frightening, isn't it? And second, that cute little puppy that I never stop talking about keeps getting bigger...and bigger...and bigger... I don't know how long it can continue, but every day, when I get home from work, I'm greeted by a little brown dog with a curly tail who is noticeably larger than she was when I left for work that morning! I am not joking! With this height, comes the ability for her to reach everything in the house. Little thief! Oh, and a couple of days ago, she was running around in the back and started barking at something on the ground and pouncing on it. No, it wasn't a snake. Turns out, she had found an old empty beer can. Upon further examination, we discovered that there was a mouse in it! Good for her. Maybe she'll be an alright dog after all! Then she pulled...a "puppy..." We set the can back down, hoping that the mouse would run out so she could chase it. Well, it came out, but she, even though she was still intently watching the can, did not see the mouse, and so it scurried off into the sunset, not before scaring the heck out of me by running across the top of my sandaled foot! And I totally reacted like a girl...how embarrassing!

Welp, I better let you go. Miss you all tons and thanks for reading!

Love always,
Amanda