Sunday, March 8, 2009

Beware!

Those who are squeamish may want to cover their eyes for a second here. Arachnophobes, I'd recommend that you check out the blog another day. This also applies to Entomophobes, of course.

Okay, THESE LIVE IN MY HOUSE...
THIS IS NOT OKAY WITH ME!

A few nights ago, I saw one for the first time. I admit that I had been warned that they exist, but that didn't seem to matter much at the time! It was about 1 am, and I had already been in bed for 1/2 an hour or so, but I was still awake because my dog, Hyside, would NOT quit whining, barking, and scratching at the door. I figured that he needed to go potty, so I let both him and Kona out a couple of times. They sniffed around the house, went outside, and came back inside without issue. After letting them out twice, the whining continued. At this point, I was tired and frustrated and about ready to kill Hyside, so I got up to let him outside one last time. I did not make it down the stairs to let him out, however. There, on the wall above the stairs, was the most freaky bug I have come in contact with to date! It was about head-height on the wall and about 3 inches long. The thing was massive and had, what seemed like 100 legs! Wow, not really what I was going for at the time! Let's just say that I FREAKED out!

First, I yelled down the stairs for my roomie, Josh, to come save me. Of course, he was outside in his studio. Then, I ran to get my cell phone and tried to call him. His phone was inside, so he didn't answer. Since Hyside saw the bug even before I did, I was yelling at both dogs trying to keep them away from the horrid creature. After a few minutes of distress, I decided that I had to go out to Josh's studio, with the hope that he would come rid me of the source of my distress and that the bug wouldn't run away while I was gone. Josh came inside, but, of course, the insect had disappeared. That was not reassuring. Now there was a huge bug with a hundred legs running around somewhere upstairs, and I had absolutely no idea where! And now I had to sleep up there?!? Ugh. The three of us-me, Josh, and Hyside-searched for the insect for about an hour before I was satisfied that it was out of sight and there wasn't anything else I could do.

It's safe to say that I did NOT sleep well that night at all. I even made Josh help me move my bed away from the wall! It didn't really help. I still run around looking up at the ceiling and walls so that I can spot it earlier vs. later next time he shows his little face! The good news is that it seems that Hyside is watching out for me. That's the only explanation I can give for his incessant barking and scratching at the door. He knew it was out there. In retrospect, he was searching the house, sniffing around, much more than usual when I was trying to get him to go outside. I don't know if he heard the bug, or had seen it earlier, but he was on it like white on rice. He's my little hunter for sure!

After, I did a little bit of research and found out that the vial creature is called a house centipede and that it hunts spiders. That's good news, I guess. I'm still trying to decide if I'd rather just have the spiders, though. I'm leaning toward yes! Ugh!

4 comments:

Dave to Claire said...

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....I think I just threw up in my mouth. I can NOT handle spiders, let alone 100-legged creatures. I make David kill every insect insight. I would never sleep through that. I'm so sorry

Turfdraagster said...

wow, most impressive!

Anonymous said...

What exactly is the green thing that last one is eating? It looks like a kiwi. If so, & that thing is that big, & I come to stay w/ you, we're moving! The sand scorpion that chased us up the basement stairs when you were 3 days old was bad enough & he was only an inch long. Mom

Manders said...

I think it's a pea that he's eating, but I'm not sure!