Monday, May 26, 2008

Nebraskee

I took my first trip to the great state of Nebraska 2 weekends ago for Kevin's high school graduation. It was a good time, I must say. Lots of drinking and cake eating, fires and barbeques, story telling and laughing. Lots of laughing. There was one question weighing heavy on my mind throughout the trip...where are the mountains? The answer...not there! It was kind of a weird experience for me to be in a place so flat. I felt kind of exposed most of the time. All of the trees seemed to make that a little bit better though. Despite all of the complaining and bad things that I seem to hear about Nebraska, it's really not such a bad place. In fact, at least this time of year, it seemed like a wonderful place to me. Everything was super green, there were flowers everywhere, the weather was gorgeous, and the air smelled like spring. Nice. I got to meet a lot of the local fire department, who coincidentally were involved in building several raging bonfires, and got to go for a little ride on Kevin's brand new bike. Oh yeah, and I bought some much-needed clothing. (Turns out that a lot of the clothes that I wear are from high school. Lame. I need to get out more!) That brings me to my next point, Old Navy is truly a great store. Although I have to try a lot of things on to find the ones that fit the best, I've never left the place empty-handed or paying too much for anything. K got some clothes too. No more shorts with the ass mostly ripped out. Yay!

While we were shopping, I received a call saying that I didn't get the Genzyme job. Bummer. They told me that I interviewed really well, but that they cut the class size from 4 all the way down to 2, and I was #3. I guess the two people that they did decide to hire already worked at Genzyme and had some experience. Hard to beat that. Anyway, they said that I should try to stick with my job for another few months and re-apply for the same position in September. Maybe I will. I'm still kind of disappointed, but there's no reason to let my stubbornness cause me to miss out on what I still believe to be a great opportunity. I wish I could just raft all summer...


As one last comment, if you ever have a long layover in the Denver airport, go people watch in the Frontier concourse. The people over there are way more interesting, unique, and weird than the ones in the United concourse!

No comments: