Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Before you Move, some Random Factoids

I came across a couple of statistics today that I found mildly interesting and somewhat shocking. In my state of sleepyness, I'll share them with you. Sorry if they're lame.

Earlier today, Newsweek released a list of the top 1,300 public high schools in the U.S. The ratio used to determine rank was calculated by dividing the number of students who took certain forms of advanced placement tests by the number of graduating seniors. (Sounds to me like there may be some other factors to consider, but who am I to question the Cambridge people?) While many of the schools were for the "gifted" or were college prep schools, oddly enough, a few schools that I am familiar with made the list.

#536-Fayetville H.S. in Fayetville, AR. Maybe Brenna should start applying for jobs here. I guess they even have a Target!

#602-Stevensville H.S. in Stevensville, MT. A college friend of mine is from Stevensville, but was homeschooled all 13 years. He never took a biology class. Perhaps that wasn't the best decision his parents ever made.

#606-Bozeman H.S. in Bozeman, MT. And they get to go to school so close to the gorgousness that is the Crazy Mountains! Hmmmm, I can't help but notice that A-town didn't make the list...

#738-Littleton H.S. in Littleton, CO. I just wanted to put this one on here to point out that, even after a horrific event, this town still has its ducks in a row and puts education first.

#1120-Mead H.S. in Spokane, WA. This school barely made the list, but somehow managed to turn out the great (and diabetic) Adam Morrison, now of the Charlotte Hornets. Whooptydoo... Sorry, not impressed with the guy. As much as I complained about the place, 3 of the high schools made the list. Not too shabby. Oh, did I mention that Morrison is diabetic?

#1331-Millard South H.S. in Omaha, NE. Having recently traveled to the area, all that I can really say here is that it takes most girls from Omaha WAY too long to get ready in the mornings. Based on that observation alone, I'm surprised that a school in Omaha made th list. The girls are probably all late for school every day. Pays to look pretty, I guess!


BestLife published an article today listing the top 100 cities to raise children in. It also listed the 10 worst. I was shocked, stunned, and amazed to see, resting comfortably near the top, at #3, Billings, MT! Having spent the first 12 years of my life there, I guess maybe it was pretty nice. I've spent the past 5 years running away from it, but maybe I should give the "Magic City" a little more credit. Others that caught my eye included:

#9 Colorado Springs, CO
#16 Omaha, NE
#20 Boise, ID
#32 Las Vegas, NV
#46 Albuquerque, NM


One more thing. Men's Health listed Colorado Springs as the fattest city in the U.S. Interesting.

2 comments:

Turfdraagster said...

true and Oh so fat

Addiction Medicine Plus said...

Hello Manders: I agree--Who are they(?) to decide the 5 W's (who, what, where, why and when). Why are they, apparently, smarter than the average bear? Bears watching--don't you think?

Best Blogs