Monday, November 9, 2009

Local Drivers are Special

I am going to try really, really hard to never be driving home from town between 5 and 6 pm on a weekday ever again. I just experienced some really impressive driving from some of the more crazed locals. New Mexico drivers are really terrible! They just are! If you don't believe me, you're just gonna have to. It's pretty much a fact.

Just after 5:30, I'm heading North and out of town on the highway. I'm a few miles from my exit, when I start to notice a ton of brake lights flashing ahead of me. I slow down. Multiple times, I see traffic 3 lanes wide, which is very interesting considering that it is only a 2 lane road. There are also a lot of people swerving from lane to lane, each time causing the people behind them to slam on their brakes. Fun. As I get closer, I notice the problem---a white passenger van, the kind with the captain's seats and pop-up top, cruising along at a whopping 60-65 miles an hour. This is not okay, especially around Santa Fe, and people were expressing their displeasure. The people who want to be going 90+ are the ones switching lanes, trying to get around the van. Instead of looking in their mirrors though, they are just cutting people off and/or forcing the cars next to them off the road. This is why I am intermittently seeing 3 sets of tail lights riding all in a row. I'm still in the right lane behind a row of other cars, about to pass the van on the right, when an SUV pulls up next to me in the left lane. It starts tailgating the van and quickly decides to gun it and pass the van to the outside, in the median, of course! Special. Freaking idiot!

Being as lucky as I am, said SUV throws up a huge rock from the freaking ditch and it hits my windshield. It's dark, so I guess I'll assess the damage in the morning. Ugh. That's my story for the night. Have a good one and try not to drive like a moron. Thanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

did the windshield survive?dad