Monday, September 29, 2008

Dirtbikes and Handguns

This past weekend, or more like it, Thursday and Friday, were pretty sweet if I do say so myself. First off, we found this sweet little lizard dude running across the driveway and up the house. At first, I thought that he was a baby bearded dragon that had escaped from someone's house, but once we got closer, his spines made it obvious that he was something else. From the photos that I looked at on the internet, I think that he's some variety of Horned Lizard. He wasn't really afraid of us, and after we chased him around with a bucket, took pictures of him, then let him go in the yard, he sauntered past us again in the driveway. With those spines I guess maybe you don't have to be afraid of much. I certainly wouldn't wanna take a bite of him if I was a predator. Ouch!
Next, we took a trip up to La Cueva in the Sangre de Cristos up to a mountain lookout called "Glorieta Baldy." It was beautiful up there at 10,200 feet! There is an old forest service tower that is definitely no longer a safe place to hang out overlooking the town of Glorieta and the Convention Center. Very cool. The trees along the road were really neat, all bent and twisted, and there was a camp ground at the very top situated in a little clearing. Definitely can't get an RV up there so you probably wouldn't have too much company, except for maybe some wild animals.
On Friday, we packed up tons of guns and even more ammo and the dirt bikes and went up to the Glorieta Mesa for the afternoon. We shot clays with the 12 gauges, cans with the 22s, and mostly just a lot of nothing with the handguns. Keith and Kevin practiced being bad asses, shooting with the 45 in one hand and the 40 in the other. I'm not sure that they hit much of anything at all, but they were grinning from ear to ear when they finished! Although I can't say much for my clay shooting ability that day, I definitely could have messed somebody up with the 40. I like that gun. It's fun. Perhaps being a good shot, at least a little bit, is genetic? I like to think it is.

Oh yeah, and after months of saying I was going to, I finally rode a dirt bike! It's pretty much terrifying, but tons of fun! I wish that the little bike that I rode lived in the garage here. Unfortunately it lives in Nebraska. Sad. Better keep saving up my pennies! There are no pictures of me actually riding, so this will have to do for now. I need to work on my posture! Gross. Anyway, I learned that if the dirt bike dies and you're alone, you're pretty much screwed. They're heavy and I'm a wimp. The boys got to me just as I finally got it started and then they had to walk all the way back down the hill. Oops! Good times. The 426 and the 450 are big and they scare me. Perhaps my dirt biking career ended Friday. Nah!

1 comment:

DragonShrine said...

Nice shootin' there tex. :)