Tuesday, April 1, 2008

You Know You're a Vet Tech If...

I was wasting my life on Facebook a few days ago when I came across another group that I had to become a member of. The group is called "Vet Techs United." While the title may not be quite as catchy as the group "Raft Guides Make me Wet." It struck my interest, so I checked it out. Good decision. In the groups homepage is a list of 75 things that are pretty much universal truth for those of us in the field. While I won't make you look through all 75, I will post a few of my favorites. Maybe you won't understand them all, but they might at least help you all understand why I love what I do, or question my sanity even more! Either way, here they are.

You know you're a vet tech if...

-You are more afraid of a 5 lb cat than a 130 lb Rottweiler any day
-You've ever set up/checked a fecal sample while eating
-You've ever treated a wound on yourself with surgical scrub and vet wrap
-You can express anal glands better than you can express your feelings
-You can identify each patient you saw that day by the hair, urine stain, vomit, anal scent, or poop smear on your scrubs
-Your paycheck barely covers your food bills, but all of your pets eat premium food
-You get a rash just looking at a Shar-Pei
-Your own pets think you have cheated on them every time you come home from work
-You no longer have a gag reflex (most of the time)
-When you're eating and you find a cat hair in your food, you pull it out and continue eating
-You never try to pet a small dog especially if it’s being carried
-You can smell Parvo from 200 meters away
-You’re horrible at remember client names but you always remember their pets names
-You own or have owned a pet with any of the following names - Tripod, Lucky, Gimpy, Peg Leg, One-ear, Poopy Pants, Demon Cat, etc.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not a Tech.......not my bag for sure however your vivid discription of what you do is honorable. love animals but don't have what it takes to be a Tech.
Mort

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Manders said...

One of my coworkers decided that one of the things on the list needs to be changed. The one about finding a cat hair in your food should read:
You know you're a vet tech if you're eating and you find a cat hair in your food, you leave it there and continue eating.

Sad, but true.